Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Changing the Equation

I went back to church on Saturday night. Skeptical as ever...I had some real issues with church this fall...I felt discouraged and I began to lose my faith...I began to research the history of black churches and their practices...

But I went back New Year's Eve (no I didn't go to any parties) and the Bishop spoke to me in the balcony. Not directly to me.... but I knew the message was for me

Yeah I know...that sounds like something Wade in the Water would have said...

But I do know that it was for me and God was sending me a message...

I haven't talked about it..but one thing I have been struggling with is my smoking habit...picked up 12 years ago by my first fiance "The Indian"...I have never had a day since where I didn't have my trusted buddies...20 of them in a Green pack...

It's annoying and I'm tired...but I really didn't know if I had enough strength to do it...I mean they have been by my side during all of my accomplishments and disappointments...I've dumped guys cause they didn't smoke...and have probably been dumped because I did smoke...

Bishop spoke Sat nite from the book of Numbers 13:26-30

26 And they went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word unto them, and unto all the congregation, and shewed them the fruit of the land.

27 And they told him, and said, We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.

28 Nevertheless the people be strong that dwell in the land, and the cities are walled, and very great: and moreover we saw the children of Anak there.

29 The Amalekites dwell in the land of the south: and the Hittites, and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the mountains: and the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and by the coast of Jordan.

30 And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.

You see the Lord had promised the land of Canaan to the Israelites. When they got there, Moses sent out spies to survey what they were up against. What the spies found were many different groups occupying the land. Instead of fear, Caleb responded to the situation with the statement that I had needed to hear:

For we are well able to overcome it

He wasn't afraid of the giants or walled castles...all Caleb knew was that God had promised it to them and they would have everything God wanted them to have...

I needed to hear that. That I was stronger than my addiction and could beat the demon that was making me kill myself.

The Bishop also spoke about :

Changing your equation

You have the power to change anything in your life...

I was tired of working in Corporate America without being paid what I was worth...so I changed the equation...I went back to school and got my degree with honors...now 2 jobs with International companies are on the table with starting salaries of 50K and up...

I was tired of being hurt so I changed the equation and took myself out of a terrible relationship.

I was tired of being broke...so I changed the equation and sought new ways of making money so I didn't have to work for 51 weeks of 2005. I managed to hold on to my place, car, kids and the twins got everything they wanted while I fulfilled my dreams.

I changed the equation on my smoking... I have gotten myself down to 5 cancer sticks a day...2morrow when I wake up...I won't have any...

I am changing the equations for 2006 ...just wait and see...

In Christ ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker