Thursday, December 08, 2005

Hey Jude/John Lennon

As you can see..... the radio blog is having some issues...something to do with ads placed on my host...Techie folks know what I mean...But I'm working on it...I found a "workaround"...I'm trying out a "non PHP" version of the playlist.xml file...so give me a minute LOL




I almost said "Nah forget it, they'll think I'm strange"...when I thought about writing this quick post to John Lennon...By now you have all seen the news posts on this being the 25th year since his death. So I will blog about him...how I've blogged about other celebrities when they die...Talk about their relevance in my life....

My love affair with the Beatles began at an early life. Birth probably...My father was a lover of all rock music...and when in his cups...would throw on a 8 track of Beatles hits...and play "the Yellow Submarine" over...and over...and over....I always thought it had something to do with him being in the Navy during the Vietnam War...But seriously...My father loved the Beatles...and I loved anything my father loved...When I was 7 years old...John Lennon walked out of his building...and was shot for no other reason than the fact he was John Lennon.

I sat with my father and held his hand on the couch during the nightly news that night. My father, A 26 year old Dominican man/boy, talked to me...said things like "We lost a great man Mommy", "Why did they have to kill him?"...I felt my father's pain that night...I was sad too...

Flash forward to age 14..I worked 30 hours a week after school in the local KeyFood supermarket. The owner was a white dude named Al...Fine as hell...but I found out he was sleeping with all of my hot-tail friends (another story)...He would play nothing on the radio but CBS-FM...the oldies station...Now for this budding DJ...It used to kill me...after about 3 months I decided to make the best of it. I began to enjoy certain songs and look forward to their airplay...Ok I'm lying...I loved every damn bit of IT!!!!....I was as happy as the older people who used to shop in the store...I would be doing the twist and the mashed potato at my cashiering station. I used to get the most customers because I was having the most fun...and I was fast as hell....The music helped move me quicker...and I always had a smile on my face.....If you know anything about oldies radio...50% is just about influenced by the Beatles or Paul McCartney or John Lennon....

Combined with my father's love ...I still have a love for those nasal, stiff-legged brothers from over the ocean. When I'm tired...I sometimes sing "It's been a long day's night...and I been workin like a dog" under my breath and it makes me smile....When I feel bad I'll throw on "Eleanor Rigby" and think about someone else who may have never had love in her life...and consider myself lucky...."All the lonely people"...It's in a house record too...God forbid I really start think of the past..."Yesterday" always has the power to bring me to tears.... as well as the "The Long and Winding Road" although one of the shortest lyrics sets...still packs enough punch to make me wail into my own cup of "Sex in the Shower"


The long and winding road that leads to your door,
Will never disappear,
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here,
leads me to your door.

The wild and windy night the rain washed away,
Has left a pool of tears crying for the day.
Why leave me standing here? let me know the way
Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried
Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried, but
Still they lead me back to the long and winding road
You left me standing here a long, long time ago
Don't leave me waiting here, lead me to you door


But with John Lennon...I think about that love he had for Yoko Ono...Believe me...when I look at footage...I used to say to myself..."Damn those ___ are crazy"...having a love-in...laying up in bed and having all those cameras in there LOL...But they had a deep love...there's no doubt in my mind that were he still alive?...They would still be together...No matter what the crazy idea she had...He was right there with her...If you ever see footage of them together...you can tell that John Lennon was completely smitten with her...Enough to leave his group and try to live the rest of his life loving...I sometimes think that's what he was killed for...He had a lot of loving to do and that fool who shot him...really couldn't take it...So when I think sometimes of love?....His song "Woman" to Yoko reverbarates in my head:

Woman I know you understand
The little child inside the man,
Please remember my life is in your hands,
And woman hold me close to your heart,
However, distant don't keep us apart,
After all it is written in the stars,



So today... in honor of the day John Lennon was taken from us...I made a quick cd and combined it with my personal copy of the Number 1's by the Beatles....And I'll be playing it all day...and telling my kids about John Lennon...and how he taught us that "All You Need is Love" and love is all you need...and that we need to "Give Peace A Chance" and sometimes all u have to do is "Imagine"

...Like my father taught me....

Labels: ,

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker