Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grammy's 2006/ PBS

I couldn't help myself...

20 (some odd bits) on the Grammy 2006

1. Man I told yall about Gorilla Inc. way back when…when I used to see the video I used to say to myself…”Dat look like Tru Goy” I was De la Soul right!

2. Madonna is off the hook. I love her crazy 40’s purple leotard wearing behind. Those stockings look like they hurt…Were they like a French coffee color? Remember when u used to wear French coffee stockings? Are leotards coming back? I hope not…Those were the original thongs…

3. I am happy for Kelly Clarkson. I think she really does deserve those Grammys.

4. Now Alicia Keys is so naked Stevie Wonder can see her…That joke was funny…

5. Why am I reminded of AD’s little chest hair after seeing Kanye with his shirt open. I am looking forward to the Jamie Foxx duet now.

6. Does anyone really watch the Grammy’s for the country music portion?

7. Don’t they have like 20 country music award shows?

8. I have had enough of Mariah…First of all the dress is old news…C had that same outfit in like 3 colors 8 years ago! She wore the black one to my aunt’s wedding LOL

9. Why is Mariah singing about Jesus looking like Jezebel?

10. Why was I happy to see her extensions puff out like the rest of us weave wearers?

11. The choir behind her was not singing…that was a prerecorded track..so all of the theatrics by the choir director was unnecessary…

12. Having a choir sing behind you does not make you believable…look at R. Kelly…he would probably have a choir behind him in “Trapped in the closet”…Wait…somebody gotta be praying for they behind…

13. I’m done with John Legend…La.la.la.la.la la…I used to..... love him…

14. Ciara looks like a Robert Palmer video girl…and all that booty shaking did not get my husband Adam Levine’s attention…he didn’t look her way once.she had to keep those thighs tight right?

15. Who the heck did her styling? My ponytails used to look better than that thing…

16. I am too done with Will I Am

17. Sly Stone scared the hell out of me when he came out…His blond Mohawk was so heavy he couldn’t hold up his head!

18. I died laughing when he left the stage before the end of the song and had all the performers on stage looking for him…WOOOO that was funny…Like where he go? With all that aluminum foil on…I’m surprised somebody didn’t get shocked(Steve Harvey, Kings of Comedy)…

19. Does Steven Tyler personally tie the scarves on his mic stands…does he pick them out for a particular reason…or is that just supposed to be cool?

20. Why am I not impressed by Jay-Z anymore?

21. Was I supposed to be impressed that he was rapping with Paul McCartney? They should have left him out of that tribute to John Lennon…Jay-Z sounded horrible..Some fusion is just not meant to be!

22. When is Jamie Foxx coming on????

23. Why is it that Michelle always has the worst hair and dress…gold lame? She looked stressed out…

24. Watching the folks grab their ears when the marching band started was a trip….I died laughing..guess they didn’t factor that in? LOL

25. Kanye West in a lavender suit with Mickey Mouse gloves on

26. Ok I’m done with this boring blankety blank Grammy Award Show 2006!…




So I caught this program that I Tivo’d. I tape all Frontline programs. This one about the Russian/Turkish sex trade was very eye opening.

PBS/ or as I call it channel 13…sometimes has the power to amaze me with the depth of documentaries that they have…I recently watched this one…”This Far By Faith, Part One” about 3 times last weekend…

Episode 1: Guide My Feet

It travels back in time to examine Africans' initial encounter with Christianity, and tells the story of Denmark Vesey, who used bilblical scripture to justify a violent slave rebellion in 1822. Vesey worked with support from the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME). We then tell the story of Sojourner Truth - born, enslaved, as Isabella Baumfree. She drew upon a highly individualized faith to challenge the system of slavery. Her spiritual strength led her to become a national figure in the abolitionist and feminist movements. These twin tributaries of righteous engagement and righteous retribution flow through African-American religious life.

Then I watched Episode 2 : God Is a Negro

After Emancipation, minister-turned-journalist Henry McNeal Turner used his faith in the will of Providence and the power of the black church to encourage political participation in the south. Turner, a popular preacher even before the Civil War, became the Union Army's first black chaplain once President Lincoln mustered black regiments. After the war, Turner, helped organize the Georgia Republican Party. Elected a state representative, but never allowed to serve, Turner's emphasis on black nationalism gradually alienated him from mainstream leaders but made him popular among the masses. Outside of politics, he and other church leaders put their efforts into church organizations. Grammar schools and universities, banks and insurance companies, printing presses, nursing homes and hospitals are all examples of institutions founded and maintained by black religious communities denied access by the society at large. Henry McNeal turner eventually became a bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church. His philosophy and teachings encouraged followers to find God from within, thereby raising their opinions about themselves and the black race.



If you can catch it you should…very informative about the spread of Christianity amongst the slaves and the higher level it was elevated to… If you can't catch it...

make sure you watch Part 3: Guide My Feet


Guide My Feet is also the story of Cecil Williams and Thomas A. Dorsey, two men a generation apart, both Southern migrants, united by a vision to take the stark reality of the streets into the church, challenging Christianity to be true to its promise of acceptance. In the black community of Chicago, Thomas Dorsey, a pianist with blues singer Ma Rainey, pioneers a different direction for spiritual expression: gospel music. In San Francisco, the Reverend Cecil Williams strives to pull down barriers with his "come as you are" church. Through their great efforts, Dorsey, Williams, and others create a new faith and a new music.

Info for the soul....

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker