Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sweetest Hangover

If there’s a cure for this
I don’t want it
I don’t want it

If there’s a remedy
I’ll run from it
I’ll run from it

Think about it all the time
Never let it out my mind
– Love Hangover (MS. ROSS)

Also the song I sang at 20/20 down on Church St last night…..


I do have a hangover…in both senses. I have to shake it off somehow before 9 pm tonight at Coogan’s Parrot Bay on 93rd and 3rd …For????????

Karaoke!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Karaoke last night with one of my best friends Ellis. He’s the twin’s godfather. Since I was writing about the strong men in my life this week…He should definitely be included. I never really talked about him before…..but he gave me permission so Yippee!!

Carmella is fond of saying that I was on a Karaoke tour for 5 years. She’s right. I must have hit every bar with a karaoke machine from here to Philadelphia …Yeah I went to Karaoke when I went down to learn line dancing…a whole ‘nother story!

I love to sing…but I’m scared of Public Speaking? Yeah…my first song took me 4 drinks of courage juice (Tom Collins). I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. Yeah chile….I poured my heart and soul into that one. At the bottom of this post you will see the Diva’s Greatest Hits. All the songs in my karaoke repertoire. From there began a long journey through bars and bowling alleys LOL. I became quite a good bowler as well. And chess too for some reason….I digress…

This began 12 years ago…As you can see…. the birth of my twins kinda halted my stellar career…A lot of dreams were deferred. But at the close of finishing one of my dreams…I have decided to return to my love of the stage.

Why? Cause this is how it feels…..

They announce my name. It makes me so shy and humble. I say a few words to make folks laugh and bemoan my singing skills. The screen lights up and the music begins. Those who don’t know me are waiting to see how you will sound. I hear “Oh, she gonna sing that?” “Hmm, I hope she good”. Those who know me smile and say “Sing Diva!”. The words light up…but I don’t need em. I’ve been singing this song in my head, shower, car, house for years. My body angles towards the mike and out comes a voice that I can’t hear but I can feel its slide up my vocal chords….True and strong. My heart smiles and my ears pop. The melody lifts me above my amateur status and for a brief moment in time….the song is mine…I made it…I claim it.

Applause and it’s over…until they call my name again.

That’s how I feel about Karaoke…and I am sad that I let it go for so long. But I’m baaaackkkkkk!!!!

Best Buddy

And who better to hang with but my best bud Ellis. Perfect gentleman. 12 years of unwavering friendship. Also the best singer I’ve ever heard. He’s married to a wonderful woman and we are also friends. They have 6 children. Their youngest is a year younger than the twins. Most of the time it’s just me and Ellis hanging out though. He doesn’t drink. He can’t. He saved and a Elder (not at my church). But he drinks his soda and sings Luther, or Barry, or Teddy, or Lou Rawls even? The women lose their damn minds! He receives karaoke cards saying, “ We miss you” or “Where you been?” if he don’t hang out. Women stalk him everywhere he goes. Panties are left on the car. They investigate his credit and add charges to his bills if they work at Verizon or Cablevision and such. This sometimes presents a problem for me because they immediately think that we are together and their minor hatred of me in general magnifies!. When they see we are just friends….they become at ease. But it is hilarious to watch. I know he loves his wife. And he would never cheat. Ever. He bet not…I would kick his ass!

But me and Ellis have developed a relationship that has stood through all of my major love relationships. I never once hesitated in introducing Ellis to anyone. Anyone who gets to know me will know about him. But what’s funny is the reactions the men give him.

Here’s his take on the past..... Ellis said when I wasn’t around…

The Hebrew Israelite was very snide with him. Like real sarcastic. “You sound real good…singing with MY woman” LMAO

The ex-husband said..”Damn man all these women love you cause of your voice? I need to learn how to sing” Shows you where his head was…

The funniest was who Ellis called the “Little Fellow” (I call him the Angry Dwarf) LMAO Ellis said that he looked like he wanted to fight him…but Ellis wasn’t scared cause there were no stools around for the little fellow to stand on” DAMN MAN THAT WAS COLD!!!! He said whenever they came in to contact…the little fellow would mutter under his breath LOL

I say all that to say…Ellis has been around for a long time and nobody ever had to worry. We are as true as friends could be. We never crossed any boundaries or even suggested it. He knows that I love him only as a friend. I think we really bonded because of our love for Karaoke. But if we’re out together? Perfect gentleman…I said that already right? Holds the door, hold out your chair, picks up the tab, helps you on with your coat, walks you to your door or calls to make sure you got home safe. Calls to make sure your hangover is all right after 2 Hennessey and cokes cause your ass is a lightweight now LMAO. But never once does he expect anything in return. NOTHING

He knows a spot to go to every night of the week. If I wanna go out, he’ll always say yes…and since the twins…he has been having to do a lot of convincing to me but it worked…

He is another strong man with admirable convictions in my life…and I’m thankful to have him…

I can put the books aside a coupla times a week and hang out for two or three hours…and experience that magic feeling … LOL And besides…. it’s always fun. I can’t wait to sing again later on tonight ....

DJ Diva’s Karaoke Greatest Hits (No particular order)

1. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
2. Diana Ross - Love Hangover
3. Madonna- La Isla Bonita
4. Vanity 6- Nasty Girl
5. Janet Jackson- That’s The Way Love Goes
6. Madonna –Vogue
7. Madonna – Like a Prayer
8. Crystal Waters- 100% Pure Love
9. Crystal Water- Gypsy Woman
10. Crystal Water- Making Happy
11. Prince- Little red Corvette
12. Prince- Morning Papers
13. Prince- When Doves cry
14. Prince-Let’s Go Crazy
15. Roberta Flack- Killing Me Softly
16. A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
17. Donna Summer - - Bad Girls
18. George Michael - Kissing a Fool
19. George Michael- Faith
20. Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary
21. Tina Turner- Private Dancer (Ellis’ favorite)
22. Chaka Kahn - Ain't Nobody
23. Gwen Guthrie- Ain't nothing going on but the rent
24. Mary Jane Girls - All Night Long
25. THE WEATHER GIRLS - IT'S RAINING MEN
26. Blondie - - The Tide is High
27. Carol King - So Far Away
28. Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams
29. Annie Lenox- Walking on Broken Glass


I need to update my songs that I sing…LOL

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker