Thursday, April 14, 2005

My First Day as a Professor

I was able to teach a college class for the first time on Monday.
It was Exhilarating!!!!

I walked into class, which is "The Greek and Latin Roots of the English Language". It's good vocabulary building class and I also get to preview the ancient Greek and Latin languages. In order to get my Ph.D. In English Literature I have to be able to read one of them. I'm thinking it's going to be Latin...but we are starting Greek in the class next week so I may take both. I almost wish I wasn't graduating (June 3rd)so that I could take more classes. (smile) I'm running off at the mouth though so I'll get back to the story.

I get to class and the Professor is looking flustered and weird. So she's looking at me kinda strangely. She starts talking about she's not feeling well. I was like "Yeah, She gonna let us out early and I can go down to the cafeteria and have breakfast!"
NO!
She looks at me and says "I think I'm going to let one of you teach the class." Now there's 30 kids in the class and she's looking at me. So I said "Ju talking to Me?" (ala Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver)

She broke eye contact and looked around at the class and said "Oh well you don't have to...Does anybody else want to do it?" The whole class looked at me and said "No, Margaret should do it"...Wow...So I got up and went to the front of the class and taught the day's lesson on Latin perfect stems of verbs and the nouns and adjectives that are derived from them. And to make it even better...I didn't do my homework...so I could call on everyone else to supply the answers (It was a great feeling) How cool. At the end of class, the Professor said "I'm going to get Margaret to do it again before the end of the year. She was very good." The class agreed. The Lord is truly good!...I knew this was what I was meant to be! When I prayed about teaching in High School, I knew my heart wasn't really in it. They offered a job and the ability to get a Master's Degree for free. But then I was able to see other ways of getting my Master's without having to teach in a bad school. I don't have the patience for children...and I don't have any patience for parents who really don't give a *$@! about their child's education. Some people are blessed with that kind of patience. Me? I ain't got it. Man, I really dont have it!

Granted, I'll have to pay back loans. But I could get a Masters of my choosing. They force you to take an English Education Masters. Which for a Doctorate in Literature is pointless. The best you get is 10-15 credits transferred. If I get a Masters in English Literature all my credits could count toward my Ph.D.
Choice Made!
I thank Him for showing me alternatives.

Choosing a Graduate School is a whole n'other issue. I'll keep you posted (no pun intended)

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker