Tuesday, December 12, 2006

All I want for Christmas/Scribe Takeover

Hey everybody...I been crazy busy...interviewing for T.ea.ch A.mer.ica and trying to get this move coordinated for the middle of February...yeah...me and Scribe and the kids are out of here...and earlier than previously stated...

Can I just say that I love my man....Scribe is the absolute best man I could ever find for me and my kids....I know...I know...you sick of hearing it....but when I had bad shit going on...that's all I talked about....

Now all I want to talk about is the joy of having found my otherself and having been with him for 7 months...but....i have another spot for that....

But I'll let Scribe takeover for today:


Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.”
-Jane Howard


Its Christmas time in New York! This is my favorite time of the year here. It’s the part of New York that I’m going to miss the most when I move south (or wherever the hell T.ea.ch Am.er.ic.a says we're moving…: ). I’ve been to other cities all around the country some may be more picturesque (Colorado Springs), some more traditional (New Orleans), but I really can’t imagine any city in the union being anymore uplifting and exciting than it is here during the holidays. The best gifts in my life seem to come without any holiday or occasion. This year has sort of been the exception. On Cinco de Mayo, I met Diva in person for the first time, we dove into a Spanish Karaoke bar in the Bronx, she broke down all my insecurities in one night and life hasn’t been the same since to say the least. Her brother asked me once, how did I tame her? I gave him a lot of words but what I should have said was, “I didn’t tame her at all!”. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, “You simply don’t trap butterflies!” I’ve tried to make myself the most comfortable nourishing flower in the field and Diva has found me worthy enough to stay perched on...does that make sense? Seriously, Diva has been incredibly accepting of all the ish that comes with being with me. She has clearly been the best gift of all the gifts I’ve ever received in any year on any day!

Well, here it is the holiday season and for the first time in my life I have children in my life to share Christmas with. Before I get to that, I think I need to reveal that as a child my Christmas’ in a word….sucked. I’ll save you the sob story, but honestly, I rarely got anything I wanted or much at all. All I can say is that the 80’s were hard on my family. My 1st niece was born December 23, 1991 and with that came the re-birth of my Christmas spirit. I took my newborn niece everywhere I could. Everywhere Christmas was being celebrated, I wanted her to be there. Even if she could barely open her eyes…lol. Now, each holiday season, I want to hear the carols, I want to smell the cookies baking, I want to see the lights on the bushes and windows of houses, and the elaborate displays in the store windows on 5th Avenue. I want hot apple cider from Starbucks, and I absolutely must watch Miracle on 34th Street (the 1940’s version) sometime between December 1st and December 24th. I want a tree that smells like it just got chopped down and drug in from Everwood forest and a mistletoe hung over my front door. And will somebody please buy some egg nog and spike that ish for me. Is that asking too much? Yeah it is. But each year I try to get all of that in before the 25th because to me that’s tradition. I don’t know but it seems each year it becomes fashionable to hate on the holidays. I always said to myself, my kids, should I had any of my own, would remember Christmas fondly and vividly. They will take the traditions followed by their parents and share them with their own children…at least that’s what I hope happens. Is that too um….Caucasian? corny? What can I tell you…Scribe loves the kids.

So it was this past weekend that I took my girls (the twins) out ice-skating at Wollman Rink in Central Park. (Mommy DJ Diva stayed home and played Tiger Woods PGA Golf on Xbox) It was their first time ever and they loved it. I say I took them ice-skating, but really it was more “ice-falling”, the twins are big for their age and well lets just say they have the coordination of a newborn fawn. I have never in my life seen two kids have that much fun hurting themselves in my life. I tried to convince them that I didn’t want them to hurt themselves falling and that we should leave early, but they were having none of it. They did not like seeing everybody flying around the ice and they had to play the wall. They were determined to stay until they got it, and well they almost did…two more times and we’ll have two Peggy Flemings on our hands. What I love about these kids is that when they get challenged, they get mad, but the anger doesn’t stop them…it makes them more determined. They get that ..I’m sure.. from their mother…if fact I’m positive that’s where they get it from.(He's right...DJ does not accept failure!) We then trekked around the park awhile, then down 5th avenue to see the lights on the buildings, the coolest one being the one with the huge snowflakes that light up one at a time and then all together…they couldn’t stop counting the snowflakes. Finally, I busted through the throng of people and made it to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree. One of them says to me, “We should take that tree home.” Everything we did that day was a first for them and that was perhaps the thing that made the day that much more special. When you see a child’s face light up with excitement and wonder….makes you proud, if not a little misty.

I’m not sure what I’m getting for Christmas, but even if I get nothing, my holiday season has been made. I shared, and continue to share this season with the three people I’m most thankful for. Diva says to me the othernight, “I hope I do enough for you.” My Love listen, you’ve given me the gift of your family and charged me with being the leader of it. That’s all a man really can ask for. Enjoy this holiday season, share it liberally with your family, cast out your inner-scrooge, and have some hot apple cider…I’m telling you the stuff is good for the soul.

Merry Christmas! Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker