Sunday, March 05, 2006

It's Hard Out There For A Pimp by Craig Brewer

(My writing often seems like a IM conversation...I need to work on that)

(Post script: I can't believe these Negroes won an Oscar....and what was up with everyone looking all happy as ish? Am I missing something?)

Do you know who Craig Brewer is? He's the genius behind Hustle and Flow.




I wasn't a bit shocked that he was a white man. In fact, during a conversation with C...I said the writer was white before I knew who even wrote the movie. I am such a movie snob. I have always expressed my disdain for the typical black movie....I was the last person amongst my friends back in the day...to see such films as House Party or Beat Street. I was first to see Krush Groove...cause it was filmed around my way!

But your average Negro film? Nah...that's ok...I might catch it on Cable....I went to see The Best Man...But not Two Can Play That Game....so you kinda get my drift right? I hate Buffoonery!

But I went to see Hustle and Flow....because it was filmed in my hometown of Memphis....see here's is a picture of me, C and Patty on the corner of Watkins and Hollywood....a year and a half ago...in front of my Auntie's thrift shop....So I went to see if it was authentic....it was...Craig Brewer managed to

capture the poverty, grimeyness, degradation, the misery of the ghetto. A white man from Virginia could walk into a neighborhood I've known all my life....and spin a fictional tale about a pimp trying to become a rapper..

Craig tapped into something...big...the dreams of our black men...

(Now I'm not saying all black men...but Ladies...how many men you know are still holding onto what is an enormously unattainable dream? They need to be famous in some way....be it a rapper...actor...model...but they won't commit their lives fully because out there is the star that their chasing and all their hopes are pinned on being famous..)

And then Craig made it into a movie...funny thing is he got backed by John Singleton and some good money to make the low budget flick from MTV ...and we all flocked to see it.....

Now it's going to be shown to countries all over the world. There's going to be big ratings for this Oscars. A lot of people are going to be tuning in to see if Brokeback Mountain gets all the nods. (another post altogether)

And during this time...the three hours plus that the Oscars will be showing on ABC...we will see some of the products of the environment that Craig Brewer chose to display...But hey...it's not Craig Brewer's fault...and he has some more movies coming out....

Black Snake Moan...starring Samuel L Jackson and Christina Ricci...portraying a young white nymphomaniac and the old Black blues man who cures her...Justin Timberlake and S. Epatha Wilkerson will also be starring in the film...

Craig is also doing a film called "Step In The Name Of Love"...I'm sure you already know what that's about.


My problem is with the music....Three Six Mafia will be representing Memphis and basically all of us on the primarily white show...and when they open their mouths....this is what they will be saying:


You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin)
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (you ain't knowin)
Because a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)
Will have a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)

In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
Gotta couple hoes workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
It's fucked up where I live, but that's just how it is
It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years
It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this shit
I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this bitch
I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp
But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
Niggaz hatin on me cause I got, hoes on the tray
But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when shit got harder
North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound
Where niggaz all the time end up lost and never found
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead
Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
You pay the right price and they'll both do you
That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin
Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah[Chorus]

This is garbage. I'm disgusted that my black men are going to get on stage in front of billions of people and talk about women this way. What the hell happened to a black man for him to feel this way about women period? I'm saddened by all the people who think its no big deal...or are even happy about this.

Oprah spoke about going to South Africa and having one of the African dignitaries say "Hi Nigger...How are you doing today Nigger" with a big juicy grin on his face. He had no idea that he was insulting her. He thought it was a term of endearment between black people. Somebody had to pull dude to the side to let him know that it was unacceptable. But this is a result of what they have seen in the media.

I feel the same way about glorifying the criminal occupation of pimping. I could go on and on...but I'll end this by saying

Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do. They put God in the lyrics...but I doubt that that's what He wants to be used for...I also doubt that if they had a love for a Higher Power...that they would be singing and portraying such evil tonights....

Site Meter Who Links Here
eXTReMe Tracker